Канадское достояние (форум Nickelback)

Объявление

Новый альбом Feed The Machine

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Интервью

Сообщений 81 страница 96 из 96

Не понял, где было написано Кёльн?

Ярик написал(а):

Не понял, где было написано Кёльн?

На том форуме было написано,что Кельн.Статьи восновном,немецкие,местами без перевода первоисточника-английские.

Показывай ссылками или картинками хотя бы, где да что написано. А то так не понятно )
Сколько лет туда захожу - ничего про Кёльн не замечал подобного )

Ярик написал(а):

Показывай ссылками или картинками хотя бы, где да что написано. А то так не понятно )

В след.раз так и сделаю))А теперь-новости;за первые три недели в продаже Никели реализовали 60 тыс. копий в Штатах,при этом читала где-то,что в первую неделю,кроме этого,по всему миру было продано 350тыс. копий)))Опять идем на платину???
Концерт Live at Sturds2006 или как там то место называлось-в десятке самых продаваемых музыкальных видео)))

Chad Kroeger & Nickelback   Published in SOS May 2003
Pieces Of Silver

Heavy rockers Nickelback have enjoyed amazing success with their multi-platinum album Silver Side Up. Frontman Chad Kroeger is not only their main songwriter, but also plays an active role in production and looks after an expanding business empire.

"I can play and sing anything I write really well, but I don't consider myself to be great in either department," says Chad Kroeger. "Whenever I'm in a room with a bunch of singers who I think are better than I am, I'll call myself a guitar player, and whenever I'm in a room with a bunch of guitarists I'll call myself a singer... and when I'm in a room with both, I'll call myself a songwriter."

What about when he's in a room with all three?

"Well, then I'll let them all know that I can drink them under the table!"

One thing that Kroeger doesn't lack is self-confidence. As the lead singer/songwriter/guitarist in the ultra-successful Canadian Metallica-meets-Nirvana rock outfit Nickelback, he's enjoyed a pretty phenomenal couple of years, and his career thus far is an object lesson in breaking through in the competitive American music business. Songwriting talent is one thing, but Kroeger clearly combines this with a keen business sense and a highly focused approach to recording.

Breaking In

Having taught himself to play guitar at the age of 13, Kroeger was thrown into a juvenile detention centre the following year for continually breaking into his junior high school. (I would have thought he'd be breaking out, but then teen deliquency can manifest itself in mysterious ways.) Eventually he was reinstated, and after finishing high school Kroeger began touring during the early '90s as the lead guitarist in a covers band. Also featuring his older brother Mike on bass and Ryan Peake on guitar, this outfit performed numbers by likes of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Eventually the covers band split up, before Kroeger convinced his brother, their cousin Brandon (drums), and Ryan Peake to enter a Vancouver studio and record a number of songs that he'd written. This endeavour resulted in the seven-song Hesher demo and, subsequently, the Curb album which was released in 1997 on the band's own label and supported by plenty of airtime on Canadian radio and concert dates throughout North America. (The band's name was apparently inspired by Mike Kroeger's experience as a cashier at Starbucks — when customers regularly handed over $1.50 for a coffee that cost $1.45, he'd have to give them... yes, a nickel back.)

Several changes of drummer led to Ryan Videkal permanently assuming the role, and shortly after the band recorded their second album, The State, a deal was signed with EMI Canada and heavy metal label Roadrunner in the USA. Released in America in March of 2000, The State proved to be Nickelback's breakthrough, with both 'Breathe' and 'Leader Of Men' going top 10 on the mainstream rock charts. Thereafter, while the band built their following via a heavy touring schedule, sharing the stage with likes of Creed, Silverchair and Everclear, they also road-tested many of the songs for their next album, Silver Side Up, which climbed to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 in December of 2001. In 2002, Chad Kroeger also enjoyed a transatlantic hit with 'Hero', a collaboration with Saliva vocalist Josey Scott that was lifted from the soundtrack to the movie Spiderman.

Songwriting (And Golf)

While he confesses to having average ability as both a singer and a guitarist, Kroeger has no such apprehensions when discussing his compositional talents. I asked him to detail the songwriting process which has produced so many hits. He's been a songwriter since the age of 16, and now looks back fondly on his first effort in this regard. "It was a great song and someday I'm going to pull it out," he says. "I'm sure the first song I ever wrote could be a hit.

"I pride myself on the ability to write something that can get stuck in people's heads. I always start by jamming a riff on the guitar and humming different melody lines, and once I figure out how I want the melody to go I just lay it down. The melody always comes first and then the lyrics almost write themselves. I'll just open my mouth, different stuff will come out, and I'll write down the lines as this happens. I'll look at them for a second and then I'll get the idea and I'll go, 'Ah, I know what this song's about.' I honestly don't know what a song is going to be about when I start writing it, but once I get the idea for it I'm like 'Oh, OK.' At that point I really have a direction, I start scratching off all of these different things, the lyrics get very in-depth, and away we go.

"I think a lot of stuff comes out of my subconscious. I don't usually have too much just sitting on my chest, although the song 'How You Remind Me' was an exception to that rule. I was really just pissed off at the girl I was dating at the time and I wanted to get some crap off my chest. That was the only time that's happened, and the order in which I did things was also different — I started by writing the lyrics, and then the guitar part and then the melody, so it kind of came out ass-backwards.

"In general, it all comes down to focus. If I start and get distracted, that song will never get finished. That's typically the way it works. I'll have a verse and a bridge, or I'll have the chorus and no verse, and it'll just sit there on tape. I've got 90 of them like that and they never get finished. So, I've come to realise that I need to unplug my 'phone, lock my door and go, go, go from start to finish in order to get this very focused piece of music that is definitely going to get a point across instead of sounding schizophrenic. You know, 'This sounds like a verse that he wrote two years ago and this sounds like a brand new chorus.' You can hear that stuff.

"I'm very very aware of when I'm struggling. The minute I am struggling with an idea and it's not flowing, I'll put my guitar down and go play video games, jump in the pool or do something else. Usually that means I can't go back to the song, either because I can't get the vibe back or because I'm not into it and it's just not floating my boat. I mean, I've thrown away more songs than most people have written in their entire lives. I'm really, really, critical of my music. I can completely step outside of it and say, 'Am I or am I not a fan of this?' Any guitar player knows that sitting there playing the same riff over and over and over again for 20 minutes is fun, but it's not fun to listen to. It's like golf — golf is a lot of fun to play, but it's no fun to f**king watch, and you have to be very, very aware of that. You've got to know when you're losing your audience, especially in this day and age when people are used to sucking in information from four different places at a hundred miles an hour. You have to keep your songwriting at the same pace and really keep some of the tension, and that's becoming more and more difficult to do.

"On the other hand, when a song really, really flows — when it's flying out of you at a hundred miles an hour, the lyrics are coming and you start getting that little iceball in your stomach and you're thinking, 'Ooh, this is good. Ooh, this is good, too,' — that's when you know you can't stop and you have to keep going because you're on to something."

The Search For The Perfect Producer

Nickelback's last album, Silver Side Up, was co-produced at Vancouver's Greenhouse Studios in just five weeks by the band and Rick Parashar (Pearl Jam, Temple Of The Dog), yet Chad Kroeger pulls no punches when stating that, unlike the video directors with whom he has forged an instant connection, he hasn't yet found a producer who he likes to work with.

"My vision of the perfect producer is someone who can play the drums better than I can — and I am a better drummer than I am a guitar player — and play the guitar better than I can," he says. "He's also got to be able to sing just as well or better than I can, harmonise, and be just as good a songwriter while knowing three times as much as I do about the technical side of the studio. At that point I will completely appreciate his opinion, because I will then know that I'm dealing with someone on the same level. Otherwise, it's 'Well, I don't really like the drum fill. I can't explain what I want it to do, but I know I don't like what you're doing now.' That's not a good producer. A good producer, when he comes up with an idea, every single person in the studio is going, 'Yeah! That's a great idea!' There's got to be a producer somewhere who can do all these things."

Getting Into The Studio

For writing and demoing purposes, Kroeger has a recording setup in his home away from home: the bus in which he travels when Nickelback hit the road. Each of the band members has his own bus, and in Kroeger's case the middle section of his vehicle houses a Pro Tools rig, which he has only recently come to appreciate for its ease of use.

"I used to look at the screen behind my engineer and not have a f**king clue what he was doing," Kroeger admits. "Then I started using it and I went on the road for six months with the Pro Tools rig, and now it's like I've woken up and found that I can speak a different language. When I sit behind my engineer I know everything he's doing, and I'll be reaching over to the screen and going, 'No, no, no, not right there. Cut this off right here and move it over here, and grab this piece here and move it there... there we go.' Beforehand, I was always like 'This is my vision. I want the vocal part to come in backwards,' and I would just try to explain it to somebody else so that they could make it happen, whereas now I understand how it works and so it's a lot easier. Instead of me saying, 'How do you get that effect on the voice?' I know that it's a reverse reverb and how to achieve it on two-inch tape or how to achieve it on Pro Tools.

"I love the studio. It's fun just sitting around, getting stoned and listening to songs, and sitting there and wondering, 'Hmm, what would sound really cool right here?' If the toughest thing you've got to worry about is coming up with a really cool part for the bridge, then life ain't so bad."

Nickelback's modus operandi in the studio is to never perform as a band, but to record in layers, doing however many takes are required to perfect the drum part, for instance, before then doing the same with each of the other musical components: bass, guitars, vocals, harmonies, guitar solos, melody guitar over the top of the chorus, percussion and whatever else enters the mix.

"We know how the songs sound live, we've played them a billion times," Kroeger explains. "However, in the studio I've never done anything just live off the floor. Once you know how a song is supposed to sound, it's just like building a house, and that's the only way I've ever recorded. We lay down the foundation, the floor plan, everything else goes on top of it, and then we kind of sit back and say, 'What do we want to do here and what do we want to do here?'

"We've made lots of records with lots of mistakes on them, using takes that we didn't think were the best ones ones but which had a good feel to them, and all I ever do is wind up sitting around and going, 'Jesus, I wish we hadn't left that on there, it sounds like I'm singing flat here, and I wish we had done this.' We've made lots of records with loads of crap on them that I didn't really like, and now I'm in search of the perfect record. Even though we record our songs in layers, they have a live-off-the-floor feel to them, and I'm not a big fan of that. I like it when songs are completely airtight and sonically perfect, even though some people think that sucks the life out of the music.

"The perfect take always takes way too long to achieve. I mean, sure, we can all sit around and get the perfect drum take and the perfect bass take and the perfect guitar take and the perfect vocal take, but it's going to take you six months to make a record that it should have only taken you six weeks to make. At that point in time, all you're really doing is putting money in the pockets of the engineer, anybody else who's working by the hour or the day, and the owner of the studio."

Kroeger has no illusions about the idea of taking on the producer's role himself for one of Nickelback's records. "I'm smart enough to know that's dangerous," he remarks. "I could be missing out on a ton of different things that I never would have seen. Fresh perspective is always a good thing. Of course, I produced 'Hero' and that did extremely well — it was my third song to go to number one — but it wasn't a Nickelback thing. I mean, can you really imagine me telling my brother, 'No, no, don't play like that?' He would f**king freak! It doesn't matter how much experience I have as a producer, I'm still his little brother, and there's still going to be the part where he and I are like 'OK, well f**k you! Do you wanna go outside then?' With a solo project I have no problems being the producer, but Nickelback is a little bit of a more difficult beast to tame."

The Greenhouse Effect

The aforementioned Greenhouse facility in Vancouver is the invariable location of choice for both Kroeger and Nickelback. "It's a got a great vibe to it and it's completely haunted," he enthuses. "There are numerous producers and engineers who have had to work late by themselves in this great big room and have seen, heard, felt and smelled spirits in there. They've heard doors slamming, seen televisions turning on and off, and heard people walking up behind them with keys jingling while they're working and then turned around to see nobody there. I myself have personally never seen or experienced anything, although I have had the feeling of someone behind me when I've been going up the stairs.

"The room goes for about 500 Canadian bucks a day, and it's got a 48-channel SSL board that used to be in Little Mountain Studios and was used by Metallica, AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Scorpions, you name it. We've had studios that range from 2,000 to 2,500 US bucks a day offer us the same rates as Greenhouse to record there and we've said, 'Nah'. There's a reason we record there, and it's not entirely because of the price. Creativity seems to flow. At other studios there's sometimes a main room with three or four offshooting rooms and you're sitting around with a bunch of bands. Well, as soon as you put a bunch of bands together, there's instant competition and animosity — 'Oh, we're a better band than they are and we're going to make a better record than they are,' and you just start experiencing all these shitty feelings. That's not creative, that's competitive and negative. Greenhouse, on the other hand, has a separate studio that's just across a road, and it also has its own separate kitchen, its own entertainment room and a huge live room. Anytime you're sitting around and singing different harmonies, the creativity that comes out of that room for some stupid reason is just very comfortable and very productive."

The Business End

Kroeger's money-consciousness, hardly one of rockdom's most common attributes, is indicative of Nickelback's hands-on approach to the business side of making music. Having earned a small fortune from their endeavours thus far, Kroeger and his bandmates have every intention of holding onto it, and to this end they are fully involved in the management of their finances and marketing of their product.

"I understand how independent radio promotion works, I understand how the politics of everything works, and I know far too much about the business because I love paying attention to that side of things," Kroeger states. "The true artist will always go broke and the true businessman will never have good enough songs, so you have to be able to switch back and forth just like flipping on a switch. When I'm writing a song or when I'm Chad from Nickelback, then I have to wear one hat, and I have to wear various others when I'm Chad Kroeger who is co-owner of 604 Records or someone who's working on an independent project. At that point I want to know where the record is getting licensed, as well as absolutely every aspect of how we're going to deliver a song to the public and how we'll all get paid for doing so.

"That having been said, I never let the lines get blurry, because when I'm in creative mode I don't give a shit about the business. I don't care if the manager's calling and I don't care about any of that stuff, because right now I'm writing a song about a girl who went to her high school prom, gave birth to a baby on the bathroom floor, put it in a garbage can and then continued with her prom. When I'm writing about that I don't really give a f**k about money or business or anything else — I've got a cold chill down my spine and I'm trying to get something across musically. Once it's done and recorded, and I know that it's going to be on a soundtrack or whatever, and we start talking dollars and cents, then I'm wearing a completely different hat and I'm in a different mode."

As it happens, these days Chad Kroeger willingly chooses to wear any number of different hats, not least as a musician whose compositional talents lend themselves to projects both within and without his regular band. "I really have to find a place for all this material, because I'm not just a guy who writes songs for Nickelback. There's only so much of that I can do. I hate limitations and having someone go, 'It's too light,' or 'That sounds like a country song,' or 'It's way too heavy, we can't do that.' That's when I start getting on the horn.

"I'm going in so many different directions all the time. I've done the 604 Records thing, I've just done something with Santana, I did the 'Hero' thing, Nickelback just finished something with Kid Rock, and the entire next Nickelback record is written. I've started a development group that buys commercial properties and develops them into condos, I've just purchased two other companies with my father, we're in the middle of signing four different bands to 604 Records, and we're getting ready to go overseas and finish the Silver Side Up tour in Europe. So, I'm really stretched but I'm having a great time, and I wouldn't really give a shit if I woke up tomorrow and every newspaper and every television commentator was calling me the worst songwriter, or if I couldn't sell a CD, a T-shirt or a concert ticket for the rest of my life. I would just go one and do something else.

"I want to continue with Nickelback as long as people are interested in buying Nickelback records. If people are still interested in what I'm writing songs about, then I'll keep on doing that, because after all, that's what made Chad Kroeger who Chad Kroeger is and I haven't forgotten that. I will always be writing songs, whether I record them or somebody else does. I'm pretty sure I've already got another smash hit in my back pocket. If I didn't, then I guess I'd be worried. Who knows, we might release it and it might flop, but I still won't care because I already got to do it once. You know, I've written my 'Hotel California', I've written my 'Stairway To Heaven', and I did it when I was 27 years old, so I'm very happy."

Мне понравилось, как Чад тут сказал: "I can play and sing anything I write really well, but I don't consider myself to be great in either department," says Chad Kroeger. "Whenever I'm in a room with a bunch of singers who I think are better than I am, I'll call myself a guitar player, and whenever I'm in a room with a bunch of guitarists I'll call myself a singer... and when I'm in a room with both, I'll call myself a songwriter", все-таки приятно понимать, что он не считает себя лучше всех.

+1

О, всё новое - это хорошо забытое старое ))))
Спасибо!

What Men Want: Chad Kroeger Edition
Chad Kroeger, the lead singer of Nickleback sat down with StyleCaster to answer a few questions about what men want.

SC: First off, being seen in the public eye all the time as a platinum selling artist, are you concerned with what others think of your style?
CK: No, what I wear reflects who I am, so they are seeing a part of me. I'm not out there wearing crazy things anyway.

SC: So what would you say is a normal day's attire for you, and what's something you would wear to an awards show?
CK: The two don't vary much at all, because I find myself wearing a lot of the same things. I like it simple. A pair of jeans, boots, a t-shirt, and maybe a leather jacket.

SC: I think that's kind of a typical rock star look. Do you have certain go-to brands?
CK: Yes, a go-to for me is definitely Diesel jeans, a dark colored tee that's comfortable, worn boots, and a rockin' leather jacket.

SC: What do you think makes someone's look standout to you?
CK: I wear a lot of the same things day in and day out. So to change it, I'll rock a sweet armband, necklace or belt buckle. The little things stick out.

SC: So any advice for people on how to Sstyle themselves?
CK: Yeah, people need to dress according to them. Everyone's different and their clothing shows that.

http://www.stylecaster.com/news/3630/me … er-edition

Сандра
хорошое интервью))) все таки приятней читать в оригинале чем в переводе)))

RockerGirl написал(а):

A pair of jeans, boots, a t-shirt, and maybe a leather jacket.

просто и со вкусом ^^ ))))

тоже из старенького))) интересно))

This is how Nickelback's Chad Kroeger made the most successful album of 2002...

Chad Kroeger stares down at his boots and thinks long and hard about what he should say. The 27-year-old Nickelback singer and guitarist sits in the lounge area of the tour bus he shares with drummer Ryan Vikedal. The bus is parked at the rear of the Los Angeles Palladium, where Nickelback are about to play another sold-out show in support of their third record, "Silver Side Up," the biggest-selling album of 2002 in the UK and one that's four times platinum here in America.

It is on "Too Bad," a forthcoming single from this album, that Chad Kroeger addresses the father he never knew as a child. Chad was 18 when he realized that he and his older brother Mike, Nickelback's bassist, have different fathers.

"When I did find out, I was drunk and it got ugly," he sighs. "I kicked my mother's bedroom door in at four o'clock in the morning. I was crying and screaming "How could you f*cking do that to me? You don't tell me he's my half-brother for 18 years, and I find out through a rumour from somebody else in the family? How f*cking dare you?"

"f*ck," he says, shaking his head, "It was nasty."

He pauses in silence for a couple of seconds, the hum of the bus' air conditioning the only sound.

"There's a lot of shit that I needed to get off my chest," he says, "and when I was writing "Too Bad" it felt so good to be so honest. Probably what gives Silver Side Up so much depth is that I've opened up that big Kroeger diary."

Nine years on, Chad has a solid relationship with his natural father, who has listened to "Too Bad"- to it's themes of confusion and hurt, sadness and resolve- and likes the song.

"I definitely didn't take my dad's feelings into consideration when I wrote that song," he says, "I was just laying it all on the line. But I told him, 'This is just my point of view, that's all. I'm not saying you're a bad person, I'm just saying you weren't there.'"

Today, Kroeger is happier than he has ever been. Following the success of Nickelback's transatlantic hit single "How You Remind Me," Kroeger states that he need never work again. He is also "very much in love" with a girl named Marianne, whom he met at a Nickelback gig six months ago. But his life story, as openly documented in Nickelback's songs, is one of childhood trauma, petty crime, drugs, family heartbreak and failed relationships. As the song says, "I've been wrong, I've been down, been to the bottom of every bottle."

Chad Robert Kroeger was born on November 15, 1974 in Hanna, Alberta, a small farming community (population 3000) in western Canada. His mother was a rock fan whose love of Led Zeppelin, Queen, and Pink Floyd had a profound influence on her two sons. Their stepfather, a welder, was a church-going disciplinarian. ("He'd beat the hell outta me," the singer recalls.)

Inevitably, the young Chad Kroeger rebelled against authority. He was frequently involved in fights and vandalism. He broke into his school eleven times to steal money. At the age of 14, he was sent to a correctional facility for young offenders.

"I don't know if I was an angry kid," he shrugs, "I just had this little demon inside me, saying- "Pick up that rock and throw it through that window." I was a little bastard. Then somebody ratted me and away I went. It was jail for kids except I was 14 and I was in with a bunch of 17 year olds. I was a fresh little teenager and they were just getting ready to be men."

Once his brief term was completely, Kroeger vowed never to return.

"f*ck that!" he shouts, "There's got to be a better way to get through life. It was really nice to grow out of the juvenile bullshit and start developing good relationships with a steady circle of friends."

Some of these friends liked to smoke pot and drop acid, but as they lay around babbling about how wasted they were feeling, Chad's drug experiences were truly revelatory.

"I found that I had a great resistance to it, and remained very coherent. Suddenly the world started to become really clear. I understood how the big machine works. When I watched 'Fight Club' and Brad Pitt went into the spiel about everybody trying to sell you shit you don't need, I had that same revelation 10 years before when I was stoned on mushrooms."

Once out of high school, the 18-year-old Kroeger formed his first professional band. They learned 50 songs- Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Lenny Kravitz- and gigged in bars, with Mike Kroeger acting as a booking agent. To this day, Mike keeps a keen eye on Nickelback's business.

"I'm more involved with the business than other musicians, and they're the ones who are normally being taken advantage of," he notes, "You only get one career, so you've got to know what's going on."

For four years, the Kroeger brothers played in separate cover bands before joining in a new outfit with guitarist Ryan Peake. Born in Calgary on March 1, 1973, Peake befriended the Kroegers after his family relocated to Hanna from nearby Brooks. The new band was booked by their agent as Point of View, but onstage they preferred the name Village Idiot.

"It's got a bit more character," Mike Kroeger says, smiling, "and at that time we were catering to the beer-swilling, pool-playing masses. They don't want to hear anything remotely creative at all."

That changed in 1996 when Chad Kroeger grew tired of rehashing Lenny Kravitz hits and spent a day at his mother's house writing seven original songs. A friend of Mike Kroeger's booked time at a Vancouver recording studio, and with $1500 borrowed from their stepfather, the Kroegers, with Peake and their cousing Brandon on drums, cut their debut EP, Hesher. At the time, the band was named Brick, ("We couldn't think of anything better" Mike Kroeger admits) but before they returned to Vancouver to record a full album, the independently released Curb, Mike suggested the name Nickelback. The name came to him while he was working the cash register at a Starbucks in Vancouver. He lost count of the amount of times he handed five cents change to a customer and smiled, "There's a nickel back." Unsurprisingly, Mike Kroeger never considered Starbucks a career option.

"Eventually," he says, "I told the manager to f*ck off, which is why to this day I can't work at Starbuck's ever again. Believe, I tried to get rehired in a dark moment."

Ten days before Nickelback began recording their second album, "The State" Brandon quit to start a family. Ryan Peake knew the man to call. Ryan Vikedal was a drummer Peake knew from Brooks, where both grew up.

"What else do you do in a small town but buy a drum kit and some Led Zeppelin albums?" Vikedal says today, only half-jokingly.

Vikedal left Brooks for Edmonton where he went to a music college by day and earned $100 a night playing jazz. When he auditioned for Nickelback, he was halfway through a song when Chad Kroeger called a halt to the proceedings. "You're in." Re-christened "Nik" by his new bandmates- to avoid confusion with Ryan Peake and because he has a vague resemblance to actor Nick Nolte- Vikedal learned a dozen songs in the week prior to cutting "The State," which was again released independently to little fan fare in 1999. But when the band's agent and lawyer sent the record to Ron Burman, vice president of A&R at RoadRunner Records, Nickelback got the break they needed.

"They had some amazing songs on "The State,"" Burman says, "Also, they had a great work ethic. They really wanted the success and showed they could work hard to make their own career happen. This is rare these days, as so many bands wait for the record label to do all of the work."

On "The State" Chad Kroeger's lyrics were willfully obtuse. "I was there when there was nobody home" he sang on "Cowboy Hat" without ever going into details.

"It was easy for me to hide behind metaphors when I was talking about some really dark and deep-seated stuff," he says. "It was like wearing a mask."

Only when Kroeger found the courage to write candidly of his life on Silver Side Up did a Nickelback song connect with millions of people. That song was "How You Remind Me" which reached the top of the US chart on December 22, 2001.

"When Chad sent me the demo, I was like, "Oh my f*ck god, what a huge smash!"" remembers Ron Burman. "I actually got chills when I first heard it. It's just such a catchy and memorable tune. RoadRunner had never previously had commercial crossover song like this before, so we didn't quite grasp the worldwide scope of it. It really sunk in when I looked at the Billboard International Chart and saw us in the Top 10 in eight different countries."

"I was really pissed off at my girlfriend when I was writing it," Kroeger explains. "I needed to write the "I hate you" song and really let her know how I felt. When I played it to her she said "I really like that song." and I'm like "ARGGH! That's denial!" There's so much honesty in the song, like someone's holding up a mirror in front of you. I've actually studied the song, and it's extremely well-written: it's got three hooks and they're all tied into the topic of relationships, which everyone can identify with. It's our hit. It's our "Stairway to Heaven", our "Hotel California". It is" he concludes, "a song that Nickelback's never going to be able to duplicate."

The astonishing popularity of "How You Remind Me" affords Nickelback a degree of luxury on tour. The band are currently rolling across North America in two tour buses: one for Chad and Nik, the other for the happily married Mike Kroeger and Ryan Peake. The latter, dubbed 'the boring bus' by Peake, is stocked with children's toys and emergency supplies of Pampers for when Mike's wife, Angela, and one-year-old son Dawson join him on the road. There's a picture of Dawson in the back lounge of the bus, holding a baseball bat in the manner of an aspiring guitarist.

Mike is a devout Christian who attends a Pentecostal church near Hanna. When speaking of his son, the bassist's faith takes on a potentially homicidal air.

"When Dawson was born, I was moved to a point beyond tears. Something just changed very drastically inside me. Your life is suddenly secondary. I would die and kill for that guy."

Ryan Peake has been married for 18 months to Treana, who works for a children's charity. Their relationship began eight years ago, long before Nickelback got famous. Peake is keen to stress this point.

"She likes me for who I am," he says, "I'm f*cking paranoid about that shit."

The 'fun bus,' home to Chad Kroeger and Ryan Vikedal, is littered with toys of a different kind: a motorised scooter and a miniature motorcycle, 15 inches high with a top speed of 60mph. Ryan Peake takes a spin on the mini-motorbike in the backstage car park before the LA show, wobbling in a manner that would give the band's manager sleepless nights. The mini-bike cost Chad Kroeger $2200.

"For a tiny little motorbike? It's retarded!" Kroeger laughs. "But why not buy things that make me happy? The road is my life- we have to try to capitalise on what Nickelback is doing right now, and to do that we need to stay on the road. That's why we have a brand new tour bus. The whole side of bus extends out to make a bigger lounge, because we need to make our surroundings as comfortable as possible."

Both Kroeger and Vikedal were single when Nickelback embarked on their current tour. As the tour progressed, so the 'action' increased on their bus, as Kroeger explains.

"If I just wanted a one-night stand, it doesn't hurt to be in my position, because being in a rock band is probably the easiest way to get laid. And the more successful you are, the easier it gets. I had my fun last year, but after a time you realize you're just wasting time. It got to a point where I was sick of one-night stands and wanted to be in love with someone."

Now Kroeger is enjoying a meaningful, long-term relationship, while Vikedal has fallen for a girl he met when Nickelback played Tokyo in May. He plans to see her again when the band come off the road in August. Both he and Kroeger are happier now. There were times, Kroeger admits, when the fun bus wasn't much fun at all; when he wished he were on the boring bus with a wife of his own.

"I wanted to find somebody that I can spend the rest of my life with. I don't want to be 40 and wake up next to somebody in bed and think, "Oh, I met her in a club last night." I'm not ready for children yet, but I want to get started on the relationship. Finding the right person? f*ck, it's hard as hell."

Oddly, when Kroeger did meet the right person six months ago, it was a girl who used to cut his grandmother's hair.

"For someone in my position, six months is a very long term," he says. "I saw her and just- POW! And none of my rock star bullshit was working, which made it even cooler. She's the f*cking coolest thing in my life."

Kroeger is beaming, but for a man who wrote the most popular song of 2002 about a f*ck up relationship, being in love might not be such a smart career move.

Kroeger agrees.

"I need to have my f*cking heart ripped out of my chest and thrown on the ground and stomped on," he cackles. "There's no motivation like that.

"f*ck," he adds soberly, "When Marianne breaks my heart, I will put "How You Remind Me" to shame."

When Nickelback takes to the stage at the Los Angeles Palladium, it is apparent that the new, loved-up Chad Kroeger still has plenty of bitter experience to draw on. Nickelback perform a new song titled "Figured You Out" in which Kroeger sings the lines: I love the good times that you wreck/I love your lack of self respect/While you're passed out on the deck/I love my hands around your neck...

After the show he reveals the inspiration for the song.

"Sometimes you get into a little fling and you think you know the person, and the next thing you know, you're dating a cokehead who's interwoven into some underground drug world with Hell's Angels and movie stars and models and you're like, "What the f*ck am I doing?""

As a teenage Metallica fan, Chad Kroeger wanted to be Kirk Hammett so bad it hurt. Onstage in Los Angeles, he resembles James Hetfield. The comparison delights Kroeger.

"I take that as the hugest compliment that anybody has ever paid me in my entire life. I couldn't kick the grin off my face right now. The way I stand- it's full-on James Hetfield! You get your rock stance on- who are you gonna mimic?"

"There's something about singers," says Mike Kroeger. "A certain personality type. I'm not that person. I see the way it is being Chad, and I'd quit if I was him, but he needs to be recognised and appreciated to feel whole. He's driven to impact people on a personal level."

"Chad has really laid himself on the table and that's hard" adds Peake, "You're putting yourself up for judgement. I do respect the guy for that."

For his part, Chad Kroeger is accepting of the highs and lows of life as a high-profile rock star. He is touched by the response of women to "Never Again," his tirade against domestic abuse. And he is vigorous in defending the allegations in a previous Kerrang! article that he acted like a "cunt" in ordering security staff to eject a member of the crowd who was abusing him.

"I'm a pretty nice guy," Kroeger shrugs, "but that kid was giving me one hell of a hard time while I was trying to entertain thousands of people. Yes, I did stop the show and ask to have him removed. This guy is in the front row telling me I suck- that makes it impossible for me to do my job. When they pulled him out of the crowd I said "Everybody wave goodbye" and the whole place cheered. I know for a fact that I have six million fans- and that's just the ones I can count, who bought the album. I wonder how many fans he's got."

As for the future, RoadRunner's Ron Burman predicts Chad Kroeger will lead Nickelback to even greater success.

"Chad and the guys are very talented songwriters and very prolific," he says, "They're constantly writing and working on new material, more than I've ever seen any artist do. We are all very excited about the next album, and from what we have already gotten a glimpse of, it will have some great songs and hits on it."

Kroeger himself remains philosophical as ever.

"When it comes time to record that next album, I'm definitely gonna feel that crunch. "How You Remind Me" can be played on any radio station anywhere. It's such a huge song. I've set the bar pretty high."

+1

Кристи,я такого интервью полностью нигде не читала-а тут еще такие факты о песнях открываются.Чед не знал до 18 лет,что у Майка другой папа?!Майк-пятидесятник???Круто.Нет слов)))

Уже читала это интервью на каком-то сайте, даже не помню, почему не выложила на форум :D, но все равно, kristi, спасибо)))
Полагаю, последовательность наших званий взята именно из этого интервью)

RockerGirl написал(а):

а тут еще такие факты о песнях открываются.Чед не знал до 18 лет,что у Майка другой папа?!

Ну, это я еще до этого интервью знала)) Где-то на форуме это уже проскакивало...

Nickelback's Chad Kroeger Is Not His Band's 'Puppetmaster'
In 2009, Billboard magazine named Nickelback in the top ten 'artists of the decade.' It's true, Nickelback has had a dizzying amount of success since their self-released debut 'Curb' back in 1996. (Roadrunner rereleased 'Curb' in 2002). Since that release, the band has moved something like 30 million records off store shelves.

These days, the quartet is still touring behind the 2008 release 'Dark Horse.' The Canadian band will swing back through the United States this fall for 25 dates with support from Three Days Grace and Buckcherry.

Notoriously elusive with the press, I had the chance to talk with Nickelback singer and songwriter Chad Kroeger about his band, the seemingly never-ending 'Dark Horse' tour and plans for a new album.

You literally try to tour everywhere. Do you worry about overhead?

I'm very adamant about taking the ridiculous machine that we have of a show everywhere. I want everybody to be able to see this thing and it gets costly and it gets to the point where even if you sell-out every arena twice in Australia, you still come home and break even. But I don't want those kids down there to look at YouTube clips of us live and see this massive thing that we tour around with in America and then go over there and give them a half-assed show with a half-assed production and half the lights, half the stage, half the video screens, half the pyro. I mean, its stupid but they really appreciate it when you get over to Germany and you bring the monstrosity we have sitting behind us every night. And it served us well and it's when we put that much back into the show, people will really enjoy it and it makes them to want to come back to the show again.

How many semis do you run on tour?

About 14 trucks. It's an 18 truck show pretty much, but they squeeze everything into 14 trucks. That and about the same in the tour buses. We've got about 80 crew members. We are a traveling city.

You love the business, don't you?

I don't know that I love – I think everybody thinks that. I think everyone sort of looks at me as this 'puppet master' and I'm sitting back in this evil chair, I'm swilling cow blood in a low voice, 'Muhhhha, look at all my trucks!' And its not that at all, it really isn't. I mean, that's my brother [Mike Kroeger, bass] and Ryan [Peake, guitar]. They really get into that aspect a lot more than I do. I'm the guy that's constantly running around pulling his hair going, 'What's with this or that?' I'm that guy. I get involved with the production side of stuff and what I want the stage to do and ideas that way. And when it comes to throwing the darts at the map as to where we're going to pick, that whole thing...that's more Mike and Ryan.

Really?

Yeah. There you go. We just pulled the curtain back. I'm not the one.

Do you want to be the puppet master?

No, not at all. That job sucks. Give it to someone else who enjoys pulling those strings because it's not fun sitting [in] on all those conference calls and getting all the meetings and its just labor. That's not why one picks up a guitar in the first place and starts [playing]. You don't dream, 'Oh my god, I can't wait to sit in meetings with people in boardrooms and us across the world, sitting on speaker phone and blah, blah, blah!' It's just really not appealing to me.

Are you surprised that you're able to keep selling out shows? Pollstar recently ran an article about how nearly every tour is tanking. But here you are. But you're also not charging a million dollars for back row seats either.

No, when you sit in the back, it's about $50.00 and if you're going to sit up front or sit up really close, it's about $80. And we bring $120 show.

You're like the last of the arena bands. It's sort of like you're carrying a torch.

I don't know about that. But it means you can still get there and people still want to put their devil horns up in the air and scream along to 'Hells Bells' and 'You Shook Me All Night Long.' And there's a few bands out there that can do it. And this is our ticket to jam. We don't know how long it's going to last and we don't know when someone's going to write in the sky for when the time's up. It's great to be in that band that people want to come and see. That's a great feeling. And our fans are good to us, they really are. They're fantastic to us and they stand by us when everyone else is putting us down and saying how much we suck and this, that and the other thing. And our fans are like, 'Really? Have you seen them play?' And then that's the thing that keeps people in the New York's and the LA's scratching their head going, 'Who are these guys and what, like really, really Nickelback?'

I've interviewed a lot of bands. And literally, I'll ask, 'What's the biggest show you've seen?' And I'm not making this up. The bands often say 'Nickelback.'

Really? Wow.

So if you put your money in and your time in, you're going to get that return on your investment.

Yeah, I mean, that's just a mindset that we sort of latched ourselves to when [the single] 'How You Remind Me' went through the roof. And [management was] like, 'Guys, the van days are over. We have tour buses and we're going to have trucks and you can do whatever you want.' And we're all like -- I remember the day when our tour managers were like -- 'Guys, what do you want to do?' And we just looked at each other and we all just went, 'We want to blow everything off the face of the planet up at our show! We want to incorporate every cool thing that we've ever seen everyone else do at a concert and we want all of them in our show.!' And [the managers are] like, 'Really? Jesus Christ, have you guys have seen the bill? Do you know what this is this going to cost?' And we're like, 'We don't care.' And we started doing it early and now...we just don't downsize well.

Well, at some point you can't, right?

Oh yeah, I mean ... U2 does the same thing. They just keep trying to turn themselves into this ... I don't even know how to describe it. That's a monstrosity as well. They do like 100 trucks. And when you go see U2, I mean, it's a production. It's not a couple of guys up on stage telling you to 'Get your lighters in the air.' It's like, 'Oh, my God, look over there!' and 'Oh look over there!' That's the thing that people want. They want to be entertained. I mean, everybody's gone to Las Vegas and seen Cirque du Soleil and seen what their entertainment dollar goes to and they have high expectations now. And so that's what we try and do.

This new leg of the 'Dark Horse' tour features Three Days Grace and Buckcherry as support. It's pretty common for tours to have three or four bands on a bill these days ... sort of like a mini-festival.

I get nervous sometimes when you get four bands on the bill. It's the fatigue actually because we don't want to be the headlining act that says, 'Okay, guys, you can't have free reign with the sound.' Because by the time we're halfway through our show, the eardrum -- once it gets fatigued -- your body actually gets very tired and you start looking at your watch and you don't even understand why it's happening. But the eardrum causes that to happen. And so you need to limit the amount of the time and how loud the opening acts can get because you want people to make it through the entire show. You don't want them going, 'Come on Stephanie, we've got the babysitter waiting. I know we haven't seen the encore yet, but let's get out of here.' And you notice that on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday when it's just too loud in the arena.

You recently released some songs for the video game 'Rock Band.' Are you going to do a series?

I'm not really sure. I don't know. We'll see if our fans are in for the whole this aspect of the band or maybe they're not interested at all. Maybe they're just interested in checking out the tunes and coming to watching the shows when we pull through town. Who knows?

Are you actively writing a new record right now? You've been touring behind 'Dark Horse' for awhile now.

I'm not and I am if that makes any sense. There's not a concerted effort. There's not 12 people in the studio sitting around tuning guitars and drums, and a massive ordeal waiting on every word like, 'Now, what do we do now?' That is not going on. When you have 80% of the idea and then you just take it into the room. What we do is we put a big screen up and then we type out the lyrics, like the skeleton of how the lyrics are going to go. And we sit and stare at that damn TV for endless periods of time: weeks until the goose bumps happen. Because when something's good, it's just good. And that's what the fans are going to think too. Its got to be great, its just got to give me goose bumps in order for it to give someone else goose bumps. That's how that works. And we will sit there and sit there and sit there for 14 hours a day. And I think the longest we ever worked on one song was six weeks.

What song was that?

That was on 'All the Right Reasons.' That was like giving birth and it was a song called 'Savin' Me.' And we had the verse and we knew the verse was good and then the chorus just kept kicking us into mediocreville. And it just wasn't coming around. So we rewrote and rewrote and rewrote and rewrote until one day I was just like ... I don't even know, out of pure frustration, I was just like, 'God, we're just smashing our faces into the same wall over and over again! This is like some episode of the f---ing 'Twilight Zone!' And I grabbed the guitar and it just came right out. And Joe [Moi, producer] was like, 'Oh, dude, do that again!' And I was like, 'What?' And he was like, 'Just do what you just did there.' And I sang this little melody and went round and round. And he's like, 'That's us right there.' And I was like, 'Oh God, it doesn't have to be this difficult.'

People are looking for a new album.

Well, I went down to Nashville recently and I love country songs because I'm a lyric nerd and too many bands these days just do...everything is so introspective. It's all, 'Oh, I feel this and I feel that.' Unless somebody's feeling exactly what you're feeling, you're making it really hard for somebody to identify with what you're saying. So if you paint the picture: I walked into this room and it was dimly lit and this was over in the corner, and this was going on. ... And you take somebody on a journey with you and they create their own little mini movie in their own mind. And it makes it so much easier to connect with the listener. And so country music does that and it does it very well. Now, even though it could be very novelty. Well, just look at 'Rockstar.' That's a novelty song.

That's my favorite Nickelback song.

That is one of the songs where you're writing the lyrics and if it doesn't make you laugh, it doesn't make the cut. We had some lines that were like, 'I want two stripper poles on my tour bus,' and like, 'I want to go pick-up groceries in a monster truck.' There were pages and pages [of lyrics] and we had to go through everything and pick everything that just sort of went very well with the 'rock star' theme. That song was really fun to write. Some of it is tongue in cheek; some of it is very poignant. You know, 'I got washed up singers writing all my songs, lip sync them every night so I don't get them wrong.' Lines like that, people might not get it ... but people in the business definitely do. It's funny because the thing that I find with a song like that is everybody does want to be a rock star. It doesn't matter how many movies you've made or how far you can hit a baseball out of a park. Everybody would trade it in a heartbeat just to be in a rock band.

Why do you think that is?

I don't know but it's true. You ask anybody. Ask the most successful person in any realm if they would trade it to be a massive rock star. It's true, that's why the song hits home so well because everybody does want to be a goddamn rock star ... including myself!

Do you think you're a rock star?

My mom thinks I'm a rock star and that's cool enough for me.
http://www.noisecreep.com/2010/07/21/ni … petmaster/

During the promotional tour in Europe, Chad and Ryan had an interview with Metallus.it, an italian website. Read the translated interview below (Original: http://www.metallus.it/interviste/nickelback/)

The sales figures of Nickelback are impressive, over 30 million albums sold, they are in fact the 90's rock band that has sold more than any other group on earth. But in Italy, as often happens, they have a small number of supporters, so the time has come for the Canadian band to sound like they should, in our market. The new album is now imminent publication... "Here And Now" will be released on November 22, while in 2012 we will finally see them even on the Italian stage. We were there for the press conference hosted by the record company and we have taken the opportunity to chat with Chad Kroeger and Ryan Peake.

Chad: how are ya!?

How long did it take you to realize your new album "Here And Now"?
Chad: Six and a half months from April, I would say that was enough .... Almost as long as it took me to get me here this morning (laughs)

What is the difference compared to the earlier timing?
Chad: almost no difference, practically the same time, just "All The Right Reasons" took us a little 'more, but not so much, seven months, but often because during the recording played games and this justifies the means month more.

These years were very turbulent in general, is there any event that falls in your lyrics?
Chad: surely they are events that affect anything in the world, from Japan to Libya, Africa and even Europe, you certainly can't be immune. In fact we are known to have a positive approach and try to give joy with our songs and our music, but obviously we couldn't ignore what is happening and this is reflected in the song "When We Stand Together".

Did you shot the video in a peaceful place to give a sense of freedom and hope to the people?
Chad: we did the center and we chose that location because of the idea of ​​being everywhere, is not localized on the planet Earth, in a unidentified. There are many nuances in the video, if you want also at odds with the text that is quite sarcastic and cynical rather than with the accents, though he eventually wants to give a positive message.

How did you choose these two songs, "When We Stand Together" and "Bottoms Up" as a prelude to the album?
Chad: It is a very schizophrenic album! It seemed impossible to find one song that would represent the entire album, so we have two choices: "Bottoms Up" is an ode to rock, "When We Stand Together" is socially engaged, we thought that with these two fronts could to better represent what is our image of Nickelback.

About this subject, in every Nickelback album from the first, your music is characterized by very strong rock songs and an occasional romantic ballad / pop ... but it is these rare pop songs to be chosen as a single output, as Why did you choose?
Chad: it is totally the fault of the record company! Our job is to write and write pieces of music, the work of the label is to promote the band, it is easier to sell pop songs that rock songs, and they have told us, so we are all doomed the world for a pop group, with the result that you realize the contrary, that in reality are a rock band Nickelback, when you buy our records or when we hear at concerts.

But don't bother you to be labeled as a pop group?
Together: absolutely!

What is the relationship between your way of being in private life and the image that dates to the public?
Chad: how good is the coffee! In fact we are very misunderstood for who we are, we are happy people and we always make jokes a lot, we like to have fun, and when we have to do always ask us to take photos of the grim expressions and poses serious, we are seen as people who take themselves too seriously, it really is not so.

You know the rumors that you are a rock band for girls, think that perhaps these criticisms are proportional to the audience that follow you?
Chad: Oh really? (Laughs) no. We make music for people who want to hear our music. Everyone has a slice of the public hates them, see also Justin Bieber, "The Beebs" ... I feel sorry for Justin Bieber. (Laughs)

I also read that you were even regarded as "anti-romanticism - a turnoff band." What do you think?
Chad: yes I know. This list also belong to U2, Coldplay .. But not Justin Bieber! This is strange ..

In 2006 you played as the opening band of Jon Bon Jovi, compared with last year's tour as a headliner, we can notice a change in their monstrous impact, this introduction has to do with Daniel Adair in the group?
Chad: Daniel has helped a lot, is not only a musician, he's also an entertainer and as well during the show also thought to play to entertain the public and do their part, I like it. Perhaps this was a defect of our former drummer, he didn't have this kind of approach. Then of course as it goes on growing production, live performance becomes even more complex and the audience wants more, so we try to give each new event a little more.

Do you have plans to come to Italy?
Chad: I'd love to come and play in Italy... And I really miss France too. Even in Japan for seven consecutive years that we haven't played there but unfortunately our situation allow us to come to Italy and play in small arenas, or go to Germany and do a great show with a great audience, so of course we have to choose the one that makes us more, but it is hoped that with this album we can do the largest tour and perhaps be able to return to Italy soon!

Have you ever thought of collaborations? Who would you like to collaborate?
Chad: We would like to collaborate with Foo Fighters. It would be a nice choice ... or wait for the next reunion of The Police ..

How long is your contract with the Roaddunner?
Together: It ends now.

What can we expect?
Ryan: You no longer need a record companies delegate, you just need internet and someone to take care of production. Of course there is also saying that if we are here to promote our record is thanks to Warner and Roaddrunner because it's very difficult to do alone, but in the end we opted for this decision and then accept the pros and cons of course.

What does it mean for you to be the second foreign band after the Beatles to have sold more records?
Together: ... who? The Beatles?? how nice!

How do you live now with this album compared to your debut album 10 years later?
Ryan: 10 years ago we were making a lot of discs in a hurry, we had a chance to spend much time in the studio, we were not very picky and often
said, "Well okay" and move on. Then many things have happened, we had a different way of singing, I tried to avoid imitating the grown-ups and tried to set my own style.

What you don't like being a rockstar?
Chad: not really, I can always find an empty seat at the restaurant! But actually made me a little difficult to manage my personal life, you are under the eye of the reflectors, whatever it's you know all. This is a bit annoying later.

How much do you feel metalhead? (This refers to whether they are metalheads at some level)
Ryan: We started playing in the late 80's, we played all very heavy metal, influenced everyone from Guns N Roses and Metallica, then everything changed ... then came ... Nirvana. We have not forgotten what we were, still like Metallica, but all undergo changes...

Chad: you guys make a good coffee!

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ek64ss

http://www.metallus.it/interviste/nickelback/

Rock&roll написал(а):

unfortunately our situation allow us to come to Italy and play in small arenas, or go to Germany and do a great show with a great audience, so of course we have to choose the one that makes us more,

xaxa  :confused:

Спасибо для интервью.

Rock&roll написал(а):

I feel sorry for Justin Bieber. (Laughs)

:cool:

Очень хочется прочитать газетную статью Чада с Плейбоем. но я не знаю английского. такие комменты ещё все оставляют. Прям завидно((

Наконец, я это сделала. Не без труда, я бы  сказала. Круто. Много чего узнала нового. Было очень интересно, спасибо что- кто-то догадался сфотать эту газетку с интервью.

Отредактировано LavIr (02-03-2013 03:13:09)